What types of foldable beds are there?
Last Updated on October 19, 2021
It’s possible to use a folding bed to save space for a small bedroom or use it as a spare bed on a camping trip. The burning question is, what types of folding beds are there and are they really comfortable to sleep on? And how do they compare to the ‘regular beds’?
In today’s guide, we will answer all your questions regarding the different types of beds, talk about their comfortability and discuss their pros and cons.
Are foldable beds comfortable?
Usually, people have the misconception that a bed on wheels doesn’t sound like a comfortable option, but the truth is that a rollaway bed can offer a satisfying night’s sleep.
Over the last few years, many brands have improved foldable options, and they are no longer the last-minute desperate bed for hosting your guests. Nowadays, you can find a comfortable foldable model if you read some reviews and do some research.
The advice we can give is that if you’re searching for an affordable, compact, portable, and comfortable solution to your problems, you shouldn’t shy away from rollaway beds.
Types of foldable beds
There are many different types of folding beds that you can buy on today’s market. They can come in a variety and usually are not limited to one style. The most common options are the following:
- Stowaway – this folding bed is the most common type used by many as a guest bed. Depending on the manufacturer, it might or may not come with a mattress. However, it is a budget-friendly choice that’s comfortable for a good night’s rest.
- Army style – this bed type has a basic sturdy frame which includes a thin mattress on top. They are easy to carry around and convenient to store as well. These beds are suitable for guests and even camping.
- Sofa beds – as the name implies, sofa beds can be used as a bed as well. They act both as furniture and as a bed in your house. Therefore, you can use it to watch TV and relax with your friends and family or use it as a bed when needed.
- Studio chair sleeper – the resemblance of this one to a sofa bed is quite similar as it looks like a chair but can be used as a bed. During the day, it can be a comfy chair that can transform into a bed when you need to sleep.
- Chest-cum-bed – this is the type of bed that is ideal for a person who is looking for an additional place to store things. The space in these options is double the size of a normal folding bed. You can use it as storage and as a place to rest.
Apart from these suggestions, you have the option for an inflatable air mattress as well. They aren’t exactly a foldable bed but can be used as a substitute.
Benefits of a folding bed
No matter if you’re searching for a permanent guest bed for your spare bedroom or you want to have an option that can convert into a bed in your living space, there are many incredible options. You have to consider the comfort levels and compare price points depending on the inclusion of mattresses or extra features.
A folding bed offers multiple advantages in comparison to a regular bed. They are the following:
- Affordable – in general, folding beds are a lot cheaper compared to normal beds. Therefore, they are a quick and inexpensive solution that allows you to accommodate visitors/guests in your house.
- Save space – foldable options are easily stored and use less space. This way, you can use the space that would be required for another bed for something else, which can come in handy if you live in a small flat.
- Durable – a sturdy frame is one of the reasons that folding beds are as durable. That means they can last for a long time, which makes them an affordable and worth it investment.
- Portable – not only do foldable items save, but they can be easily transported from one place to another. Thus, it makes them a wonderful companion to take on trips, camping, or just taking them out of your wardrobe (or elsewhere) for a guest.
- Easy to use – True to their name, folding beds are easy to set up and unfold in a matter of minutes.
Premium quality folding beds can provide added benefits due to a stronger frame or a specific design. Some folding beds have mattresses that can be used for a more comfortable sleeping experience.
Disadvantages of a folding bed
There are many benefits to folding beds, but they also come with a few drawbacks. Here are some of the problems that you might face when using one:
- Comfort – truth be told, the comfort of a folding bed may vary across different models or even prices. In addition, the level of comfort can be affected by the presence of a mattress and its quality.
- Sturdiness – the sturdiness of a folding bed, can often be determined by the price and model of the bed you’ve chosen. Therefore, one model may be weaker while others might be sturdier.
- Size – just like other sleeping products, a folding bed comes in different sizes. That’s why, when purchasing one, you need to be mindful of the choice you’re making. There are folding beds for both children and adults. Also, keep in mind that most items have different weight limitations.
- Daily usage – We don’t recommend you use a foldable bed on a regular basis. The sturdy frame and the thin mattress most likely aren’t healthy for your spine and body. With that said, you can still use it occasionally.
- Aesthetics – a folding bed is not as aesthetically pleasing as a normal bed. Ideally, we don’t advise you to replace all your normal beds with folding ones as they aren’t the best for daily usage and don’t suit most sleeping environments.
In general, a house is usually bought by a family to house its members. However, there could be instances when friends or family members come for a stay-over. In such circumstances, there might not be enough room to accommodate them. Therefore, purchasing a spare mattress or folding bed is a viable choice, which won’t hurt your wallet. Overall, a folding bed is a better recommendation as it comes with various benefits.
We hope we were able to answer the how and why when it comes down to ‘Are foldable beds comfortable to sleep on?’, and now it’s our turn to hear from you if any questions regarding the subject were left unanswered. If you want to share some information, we would gladly hear about it in the comments below.